Legal Aid Society of Palm Beach County seeks a full-time attorney in its HIV/AIDS (“Ryan White”) Legal Project. The position has an emphasis in Social Security Disability and SSI appeals. In addition, the attorney will conduct civil lawsuits, draw up legal documents, advise clients as to legal rights, and practice other phases of law by performing the following essential duties. Attorney is supervised by and reports directly to the Supervising Attorney. Attorney’s work is continually evaluated by the Supervising Attorney, and they receive written annual evaluations from the Supervising Attorney. Works under general and minimal supervision. Work schedule is as follows: generally Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. with occasional evening or weekend work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Represents clients before administrative and judicial tribunals in a full range of civil legal matters.
- Conducts interviews of clients at the office or elsewhere.
- Investigates and develops cases, including conducting necessary interviews and consulting appropriate agencies and resources.
- Counsels and advises clients in legal matters.
- Negotiates on behalf of clients.
- Drafts letters, memos, pleadings, briefs, and other legal documents and written materials.
- Develops specialized skills and knowledge in at least one (1) area of law handled by the Legal Aid Society.
- Remains current on new developments in the law which affect Legal Aid clients.
- Performs legal research.
- Maintains accurate and complete records and files regarding cases.
- Makes referrals and follows up referrals of clients to appropriate alternative or additional sources of assistance.
- Develops and maintains relationships with social service agencies.
- Develops and maintains relationships with the Palm Beach County Bar Association.
- Assists in the development and execution of community education projects and activities.
- Serves on community, bar, and county committees where feasible.
- Attends staff and other meetings in the community as assigned.
- Maintains confidentiality of all information handled.
- Complies with all agency policies and procedures.
- Works with other staff members to form a positive, supportive team atmosphere.
- Must work the days and hours to perform all assigned responsibilities and tasks, and be punctual and timely in meeting all performance requirements, including but not limited to, attendance standards and work deadlines.
- Must maintain courteous, professional and effective working relationships with employees and clients of the organization.
- Must enjoy working in an organization which highly values a diverse work force.
Position requires daily contact with unit attorneys and paralegals, executive director, and clients on a frequent basis and with other staff members on a frequent to daily basis.
- Doctor of Jurisprudence (J.D.) from A.B.A. accredited law school.
- Member of the Florida Bar or pending.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Knowledge of the Florida and Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.
- Dependability, initiative, motivation, and concern for interests of clients.
- Strong, positive interpersonal skills.
- Good judgment and organization.
- Commitment to remain in position for at least two (2) years.
- Must pass Level 2 background screening.
- Ability to work independently and responsibly
- High ethical standards.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Requires safely lifting or moving up to 10 lbs on an occasional basis, for example movement of materials, files or texts.
- Regular requirement to stand, and sit for long periods of time, with some walking, occasional bending, stooping, squatting, pushing and pulling.
- Noise level is usually quiet to moderate.
Computer, scanner, telephone, fax, copy machine.
Commensurate with experience.
Continued employment is dependent on availability of funding resources.
Please submit a resume and cover letter via email to the following addresses (cover letter should be addressed to our Executive Director, Robert Bertisch, Esq.): firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
NOSSCR Member: Colin White